Philoptochos Center of Philanthropy
“Philoptochos sisters are called today to renew what it means to be a responsible Christian in 2014 and demonstrate their philanthropy, faithfully and prayerfully.” -Archbishop Demetrios
With the blessings of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, the support of the members of the Holy Eparchial Synod, National Philoptochos Board, Philoptochos Chapters, and individuals nationwide, the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society purchased its permanent home, the Philoptochos Center of Philanthropy at 126 East 37th Street in New York City on Tuesday, November 27, 2012.
Philoptochos Center of Philanthropy: A Virtual Tour
This historic event culminated three years of planning and fundraising to ensure that Philoptochos, the philanthropic arm of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, secures its legacy for future generations, and allows Philoptochos to continue and expand efforts to help those in need. National Philoptochos President Aphrodite Skeadas stated, “This is a significant day in the history of our venerable 81 year old Society because the charge of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios ‘to see National Philoptochos in its own home, ready and available to serve the community for generations to come’ has come to fruition.”
National Philoptochos President Maria Logus
The Atlanta Metropolis Board and our Chapters would like to welcome and congratulate Maria Logus on her appointment as our new National Philoptochos President. We look forward to working with her to ensure the continued success of our beloved philanthropic society.
Read More About Maria Logus →
History of the National Philoptochos Society
The beginning of the Philoptochos Society can be traced to the late nineteenth century when hundreds of immigrants were arriving daily in the United States from Greece, Asia Minor and Constantinople. In 1894, Father Paisios Ferentinos, who was serving the Holy Trinity Church in New York City, undertook, with the assistance of Mrs. Amalia Feramoschos and Mrs. Penelope Eleftheropoulos, the formidable task of welcoming the new émigrés and assist them to acclimate themselves to their new environment.
Throughout the nation women’s clubs were being formed: in New York City, Chicago, Lowell, Philadelphia, Birmingham, Boston, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Milwaukee, Newark, and wherever there were Greek Orthodox Churches.
In 1902, the first Ladies Philoptochos was officially established at the Holy Trinity Church in New York City, under the spiritual guidance of Father Methodios Kourkoulis, and the leadership of three prominent ladies in the Greek community: Mrs. Anthony Rallis, Mrs. Nicholas Calvocoresis and Mrs. George Galatis. The Society applied for a charter to the State of New York as a philanthropic agency engaged in charitable activities rendering services to the poor.
Learn more about the History of the National Philoptochos Society.